Photograph of the Daniels and Fisher Tower located on 16th Street in Denver, Colorado. Photograph shows 16th Street looking towards the Tower, with several horse drawn buggies, early automobiles, and trolley tracks. Designed by Frederick J. Sterner and George H. Williamson as part of the 1911 Daniels and Fisher dry goods store building, the 21-story Renaissance Revival style tower is all that remains of the popular five-story retail establishment, which was demolished during the Skyline Urban Renewal Project of the 1970s. This Denver icon, modeled after the Campanile of St. Mark's in Venice, has a steel skeleton faced with blond brick and extensive terracotta trim. The upper portion of the tower features an arcaded observation deck, a 16-foot diameter Seth-Thomas clock, and a bell weighing more than two tons. A rehabilitation of the 32-foot-square tower resulted in sixteen floors being made available for office tenants.
The Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation, History Colorado, reserves all rights to materials in society collections, including, but not limited to, photographs, digital files and publications of the society. Publication or reproduction of photographs or other materials from History Colorado collections requires written permission from the Society.