The Central City Opera House, originally opened in 1878, was renovated and reopened in the 1930s. Described as "the finest temple of the Muse west of the Missouri" and designed by Architect Robert S. Roeschlaub, the oldest opera house in Colorado is constructed of Gilpin County granite, except for the top and sides. Located on Eureka Street, the two story building is fifty-five by one hundred ten feet. The main roof, a shingled, mansard-style structure with an oculus, is offset by two smaller hipped towers on either side of it. The second story has large, arched windows with a sign over them that reads "Opera House." The lower story has arched entrances with a covered main entrance. Billboards read "Central City Opera House Closed Until 1940 Play Festival - Watch for Announcements, Property of University of Denver Operated by the Central City Opera House Association -Inc.-" Shoveled snow is piled along along the edge of the street and the Teller House is in the background.
Hand-written on back of photoprint: March 1940, taken by Ben Draper March 1940.; Title supplied by cataloger.; R7100028596
1 photoprint ; 21 x 13 cm. (8 x 5 in.)
Central City Opera House--1940-1950.; Central City (Colo.)--1940-1950.; Opera houses--Colorado--Central City--1940-1950.
Source: Draper papers. MSS Collection WHC 1981 taken from Ida Kruse McFarlane section in Ben Draper's correspondence.
Restrictions applying to use or reproduction of this image available from the Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library.